Saturday, January 2, 2010

How do I get in the music business???

Hello everyone...I've finally decided to start blogging as a way to share my thoughts with u, & respond to some commonly asked questions!!! Be sure to subscribe, as I will be posting my blogs on a weekly basis...

So people always DM me on facebook & twitter about getting into the music business. I always hear..."man, I see u doing your thing on Monique every night...how'd u get that gig??" or "You're ALWAYS on the road" or "How do I get my songs placed on other artists??" My answer is simple...if u wanna get into the music business, then GET INTO THE MUSIC BUSINESS!!! There's no formula to it...no right or wrong way...the current is constantly moving, but its up to YOU to jump in watert!!!

I've been "doing" music all my life, but I've been in the "music biz" since I was 11, cause that's when I started getting paid for it...lol. Then when I moved to Atlanta, I was played in church for $300 a week, gigged on the weekends for $100 a night, then went BACK to the studio (where I practically lived) writing songs (which, by the way, took me 2 years to get my 1st placement). But HERE's THE KEY, whether I was at the local jam session making $100, or playing behind a major artist making $1500.. or.whether I was working with an indie artist, or a major icon...I ALWAYS GAVE THE SAME ENERGY & ATTENTION TO EVERYTHING I DID, cuz I KNEW one gig ALWAYS leads to the next!!!

So what am I saying??? GET STARTED!!! Capitalize on EVERY opportunity!!! Network, find out when the local jam sessions & church musicals are, sign up with BMI or ASCAP, and go to the industry functions...WHATEVER IT TAKES!!! And most importantly, NEVER DOWNPLAY ANY OPPORTUNITY, cause u NEVER KNOW when that person that can get u to the next step is watching you from afar....

1 comment:

  1. This is why you are standing where you are today!!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete