Sunday, January 17, 2010

Get Started...

I remember someone asking me..."Are u a finisher or a starter??" Honestly, at that time, I was neither!!! I was working ALl THE TIME. From gigs to church, then back to the studio, I was running like crazy, making money, but getting NOTHING done!!! Yes, I was able to pay bills, & and provide for my new born son, but STILL had nothing tangible to show for all my hard work. I moved to ATL to become a recording artist, but I was surrounded around people who constantly said "not now" or "your not ready yet." From an industry perspective, the neo-soul movement hadn't happened yet, so there wasn't a viable market for what I do. Then from a personal perspective, I didn't have any extra money to play with, so how would I pay singers & musicians??? Book the studio??? Etc...

Then I began reading the Rich Dad, Poor Dad series, and Robert Kiyosaki told the Bill Gates story in a way I'd never heard it before. Microsoft puts out updates ALL THE TIME, but he didn't wait until it was PERFECT to release Windows into the marketplace!!! He's constantly perfecting his product EVERY year, and making money in the process (so much for my lack of capital excuse). My perspective started to change. I started booking sessions, calling musicians, and EVEN found a production partner. Once I got started, I ran into some bumps in the road. I quit the church I was working at & the club I'd played in every weekend for the last TWO years had closed. I felt kinda stupid actually, but it didn't stop me!!! I kept writing songs, singing horn arrangements into my phone, and recording demos. I found a NEW church job that had offered me a salary including benefits. In addition to the club hits, I was getting from production calls from artists, & every extra dime I had went into paying for SOMETHING for this project, because "quality" was my main concern...

Long story short, that new born I had is now 7 years old, and my EP is JUST coming out!!! So...whatever that idea or goal is that you've been putting off for WHATEVER reason, stop what your doing, and Get Started!!! Silence every "I don't have...," & every "I'll just wait until..." and motivate yourself to dedicate AT LEAST 5 min out of every day for your destiny. If that seems unreasonable or too difficult, then I'm sad to say, you're not really serious about what u wanna do. Personally, I feel like I haven't scratched the surface of my dream, but I'm proud to say I've graduated to becoming a starter, striving to be a finisher...



No comments:

Post a Comment