Thursday, March 25, 2010

REAL MUSIC...

Before we get started, let me first say thank you to EVERYONE who's supported the NEW IAmDanielMoore EP. We've been getting a lot of buzz about the EP & I was recently told we were No 2 in the UK, how exciting!!! I did an interview recently where the interview said I'm bringing back REAL MUSIC. Tho I'm appreciative and humbled by this comment, I think its important to define what REAL MUSIC is....

Often times when we hear real instruments with a few chord changes vs sequenced loops, or lyrical substance vs party lyrics, we consider that REAL MUSIC....but to me, that's like saying Stevie Wonder is REAL MUSIC & George Clinton is not!!! The P Funk may be old school to us, but it was the party music of the day, so just because Drake or Lil Wayne may not be someones personal preference, it doesn't make them ANY LESS REAL than Jill Scott or John Mayer!! If a song comes on and it makes you feel good, then its REAL to YOU, which should be the definition of REAL MUSIC..

I think the REAL issue here is artists, musicians, and singers get irritated when they have trouble making THEIR sound relevant for today's audience. They grow up listening to timeless classics, but instead of being innovative, like those artists were, they wanna DUPLICATE what was relevant 20 or 30 years ago. I can relate to this, cuz I too used to get salty when I turned the radio on. I thought what they were playing sucked...LOL. However, complaining wasn't solving anything, and when I did a self evaluation, I found my REAL issue was I thought I was better than them. I couldn't understand why they got they're break before I got mine. I even tried TOTALLY going against the grain and doing what I thought others SHOULD be doing, and as you probably guessed, NO ONE wanted to record my songs. My problem was, I'd developed the "They're wrong, I'm right" mentality, while on my starving artist journey...LOL. Then I read the autobiography of my FAVORITE Quincy Jones and he said..."Ignorance in the name of art is NEVER justified..."

How then do we find success in then in the music industry without compromising our artistry?
Well...we have to adapt not just the sound of yesterday, but the mentality as well. THIS IS SHOW BUSINESS!!!! We work for the people, they don't work for us!!! No matter what genre you're in, or what capacity of SHOW BUSINESS you're in, YOU ARE AN ENTERtAINER!!!!! If you only plan on doing the music that YOU wanna hear, then don't count on making a decent living at it. I'm not saying totally change you're uniqueness and do what the industry thinks will work, but I am saying to craft your art where the average consumer will PURCHASE what you put out !!! This is difficult, and may come thru trial and error, but its the reasonwhy people STILL pay to Sade, Anita Baker, Frankie Beverley, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, James Taylor, etc. REAL MUSIC is simply what the CONSUMER believes is entertaining....

3 comments:

  1. This is so true. Excellent article Daniel! I've learned several things from this and the other blog entries you've posted!

    -GQLee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur brotha D. It is relative like beauty. However, the affect, duplication is not creativity. I think one of the attractive qualities about "REAL MUSIC" is that we " the consumer" fall in love with the power and passion of the artist and the way they have chosen to convey that passion. We should look at music like we look at people in the world.. there is someone for everyone... it is in the ear of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog and great site. Your outlook on music, the power and importance of the consumer are refreshing.

    ReplyDelete