Wednesday, February 10, 2010

DECIDE....

I had the pleasure of sitting with the legendary Anita Baker once and she was sharing some of her early experiences with me of when she 1st started out. After she first recorded "Been So Long" the label sent her out to a jazz festival with George Duke. Once she got there, the band kinda half learned/half played the tune, cause no one knew (or cared) who she was. As u can imagine, the show didn't go so well. Duke pulled her aside afterwards and asked, "If u REALLY wanna be an artist, you need to DECIDE RIGHT NOW!!!!!" From that point on, Ms B took control of her career!! She DECIDED not to allow any musician, sound engineer, manager, label executive, etc. run over her EVER AGAIN. She perfected her craft, learned the BUSINESS of music, and everything she needed to know about audio & stage production. That DECISION turned from the girl from Detroit that nobody knew, to the 8 time Grammy Award Winning Artist she is today!!!

This principle doesn't just apply to music, it apply's to every aspect of our lives!!! This story reminded me to be fearless in EVERY decision I make. NO ONE defines or runs my life but ME!!!!!!!! I've DECIDED to be successful, be a loving father, and to live a happy life!!! I'm making constant improvements within myself to accomplish these goals!!! In a nutshell, I've also DECIDED not to let ANYTHING of ANYONE stand in my way...How about U???

1 comment: